The City of Ypsilanti contracts residential solid waste pickup from Republic Services.
Trash Service Guidelines
Guidelines for trash service are as follows:
- Each single family home may set out 3 trash cans or bags, 32 gallons or smaller, and 1 bulk item each week.
- Each 2 unit dwelling may set out 6 trash cans or bags, 32 gallons or smaller, and 2 bulk items each week.
- Each 3 unit dwelling may set out 9 trash cans or bags, 32 gallons or smaller, and 3 bulk items each week.
Your pick-ups will generally fall around the same time each week. However, due to traffic, road conditions and volumes, we may sometimes run at a different time. To ensure pick up, please have your rubbish at the curb by 6:00 a.m. or the night before your collection day. Occasionally there may be a delay in trash service due to holidays. View the Republic Services trash pickup schedule.
View the Holiday Service Schedule for Trash, Recycling & Yard Waste
Additional Bags & Proper Setout
If you have extra bags of rubbish, stickers may be purchased from the Departments of Public Services. The cost of each sticker is $2.50. Each bag of rubbish over the limit will require a sticker.
For extra bulk items, stickers may also be purchased for $20 per each additional item.
Correct Setout for a Single Family Home
What Is a Bulk Item?
A bulk item is a large item weighing less than 100 pounds that does not contain Freon. A few examples of bulk items are a couch, chair, table, washer, dryer, or one roll of carpet. Roll and tie carpet in 4 foot bundles weighing no more than 50 pounds. Each bundle is considered one bulk item. If you are not sure whether your item meets the guidelines, please call Republic Services at 800-878-4626 for assistance.
How Do I Dispose of Items Containing Freon?
Residents may now purchase tags at the Department of Public Services allowing items containing Freon (such as a refrigerator, freezer, air conditioner, or dehumidifier) to be disposed of curbside. The fee is $35 which covers the cost of draining the Freon and disposal. Tags may be purchased at the Department of Public Services office located at 14 W Forest. Hours are Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. For the safety of our young residents, doors must be removed from all refrigerators and freezers placed curbside.
Items That We Do Not Take at the Curb
- Car and Truck Parts/Engines
- Construction/Roofing Debris
- Fencing/Railroad Ties
- For latex paint, add cat litter to dry out the paint and place at curb with lid off.
- Gasoline and Automotive Oil
- Hazardous Wastes
- Large Pieces of Wood/Drywall
- Tree Stumps
- Wet Paint Cans (Latex Only)
- Yard Waste Mixed with Trash
The Following Items May Not Be Placed in the Trash:
- Tire Disposal: Take tires to participating tire retailers. Fees vary; call tire retailers for prices.
- Returnable Beverage Containers: Due to new State laws, returnable beverage containers may no longer be disposed of as waste. Return containers to local stores for refund.