Ordinance Enforcement

Ordinance Enforcement is a division of the Police Department. Its purpose is to ensure safety and compliance with city code requirements.

Common Ordinance Violations
  • Scattered litter/open trash
  • Grass and weeds in excess of 10''
  • Trash/recycle receptacles left out past 8:00 a.m. on the day after scheduled trash day
  • Trash at the curb before/after permitted time
  • Yard waste improperly left at the curb for collection
  • Snow or ice not cleared from sidewalks or parking lots within 48 hours of snowfalls greater than one inch
  • Wrecked, scrapped, abandoned, or unlicensed vehicles not stored in an enclosed structure
  • Failure to remove graffiti
  • Zoning violations
  • Non-permitted or improper placement of signs
  • Unlicensed animals

Owning a Dog in the City of Ypsilanti 

An owner of any dog over four months of age must obtain a dog license. Applications for a license should be filed within 30 days of obtaining a dog over four months of age. 

Dog licenses are issued by the Washtenaw County Treasurer's Office.  You can apply online at dogs.ewashtenaw.org.  For more information please call (734) 222-6600 or email them at dogs@ewashtenaw.org.

*License fees are not required for certified seeing eye dogs, hearing dogs, or other certified dogs trained to assist the physically handicapped, or police services.

Chickens in the City

Residents may keep hens if they obtain a permit from the city prior to acquiring the hens and pay a permit fee set by city council. 

A permit may be obtained from the Building Department by any owner of a property for which the principal use is as a single-family or two-family residence.

Click here for the chicken permit application.

Keeping of roosters is not permitted, nor is the slaughter of hens. 

Honey Bee Alley

Any person who wishes to keep bees in the city shall obtain a permit from the Building Department prior to acquiring the bees or constructing the Apiary and pay a permit fee set by city council.

Beekeeping permits can be issued to properties whose principal use is one- or two-family residential.