TO ALL CITY OF YPSILANTI PROPERTY OWNERS
The city’s snow ordinance and abatement procedures go into effect on October 16, 2023. Please be advised of the following:
- Snow must be removed from sidewalks and parking lots within 24 hours of first accumulation of one inch (1”) or more.
- Ice must, if practicable, immediately be removed from sidewalks and parking lots. When immediate removal is impracticable, sand, salt or other chemical or materials must immediately be used and then ice must be removed as soon as practicable.
- Only one (1) warning for abatement will be left at any parcel per snow season. Further violations will result in abatement without additional notices left at the property. The property owner/agent is responsible for abatement costs.
- A citation will be issued for every violation, even the first. Fines increase each offense.
- A five-foot (5’) path must be maintained on sidewalks at all times to be in compliance. (Properties with public sidewalks less than 5’ in width must be cleared to the edges of the paved areas).
Ypsilanti City Code Chapter 94, Section 94-135(a) defines the “snow season” as October 1st through May 31st. Failure to comply with abatement notice will result in the city’s contractor being hired to correct the violation, with all costs for services invoiced to the property owner/agent. Further information may be obtained through the Code Enforcement Division at (734) 482-9626, or at www.cityofypsilanti.com/codeenforcement.